Monday, July 23, 2012

Fixing the Floors, Part One

Its important to note that up until now my husband and I hadn't done any renovations to the upstairs. I'd been dreading it. I can barely handle the downstairs, but the idea of starting on the upper floor was just overwhelming. Besides the raggedy carpet, there is a bathroom with peeling paint and drastically outdated vinyl floors. Pink bedrooms, missing light fixtures, unlevel floors and... well, you get the idea. I'm not ready for all these tasks. I'm barely proficient with a power drill. I suppose I just need to remember to breathe and take it one project at a time.

We finally pulled the upstairs carpet this weekend. My husband and I had been putting it off all summer and we finally caved in after our plans for the lake were spoiled. What can I say, the two of us are truly gluttons for punishment. If you are thinking about removing your carpets I have one solid recommendation; Make sure you are up to date on tetanus shots. Seriously. By the end of the day my hands were covered in scrapes, pin pricks and blisters.

Technically speaking, removing the carpet and foam was the easy part. Pulling the individual staples and nailboards from the floor took the majority of the afternoon.




When we started this job we weren't really sure how bad the floors would look underneath. The entryway and dinning room carpets had already been pulled and didn't look too bad, but for everything we knew, the floors upstairs could have a great amount of water damage or any number of things wrong.


Here's what we found.





The stairs are in surprisingly good shape. Not a lot of deep scratches and it looks like there may even be some original stain still showing. the rest is painted in two different shades of brown. Maybe from a runner that used to go down the center?




The second floor is a little worse for the wear, but not completely hopeless. Its painted a light grey and covered pretty thoroughly with scratches and dents. Hopefully nothing that a heavy sanding can't cure. These aren't any kind of fancy hardwood planks (just pine I think), but with a little love I think It will turn out okay. Here's a closeup of some of the damage. Thankfully its not all  that deep.



Next step: sanding. Wish us luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment