Tuesday, January 29, 2013

A Painted Ceiling

I know I've been talking about it for ages, but I finally went and painted the kitchen ceiling. It was a lot less difficult than I thought, and I'm hoping this little project will propel me out of my mid-winter rut.


Before pictures...


Note all of the water damage, greasy residue, and my personal favorite- about 13 putty filled holes I made when I was trying to figure out how to hang our three tiered basket.
 

I tried my hardest to take it nice and slow with the painters tape. Both the ceiling and walls are textured so I wanted to make sure that they adhered properly.


I shouldn't admit this, but I didn't use a drop cloth except for directly under the paint can and tray. I removed everything from the shelf above the pans and just tried to be as careful as possible. What can I say? I like to live dangerously.  :)

I finished after a good afternoon of painting with minimal dripping and just a few corrections. Taking my time with the painters tape really payed off.


After pictures!







So much better! The pictures don't really show much difference between the white and grey, but its there when you see it in person. This is definitely my proudest achievement with painters tape. Not only did it come off cleanly without very many touch-ups, but it also pulled away from the walls in two giants strips so I didn't have to scoot my ladder all along the whole perimeter of the kitchen.

I was going to tackle the trim today too, but that didn't quite work out. Grrrr. I have words about that I'll share later on this week.

All in all I'm so happy with how this turned out. I can officially say that I am not embarrassed of my kitchen anymore. Well, besides the state of our dishwasher (but that doesn't count). Now I just have to make the rest of the house look as nice....

No comments:

Post a Comment