Monday, August 18, 2014

What? I have a blog?

So, it has been about a year since my last post (I know, shameful). I have been keeping busy working on my prerequisites for nursing school, so I really haven't had a lot of time for anything besides work and study. But I'm done for about six months (assuming I get accepted into the program). Literally right after my last final on Thursday I got back in the saddle and started up again. My current project: The guest bedroom.

We have three rooms upstairs. Two bedrooms, and a smaller room that is probably better suited as an office or craft room. We don't have kids yet, so the plan for now is to use one room as a guest room and have the other smaller one ready to convert into a nursery when the time comes. 

So here is a kind of before picture. I sort of forgot to get a real before picture because I wasn't even thinking about blogging. So this is just after I pulled the carpet up. Note the super awesome pink/purple walls and busted blinds. Yeah. We're that classy.


I was a little disappointed when I pulled up the carpet. The wood is in relatively good shape except two large rectangles that have been replaced with plywood. We aren't planning on refinishing the floors for a few more years, so after we do our "in the mean time" paint job I'm hoping we can cover them with furniture/area rugs.


The lighting is also going to be a bit of an issue. Our house still has a lot of old knob and tube wiring, and this room is no exception. For the most part I try to be respectful of things that are original to the house (for instance, we will never be painting over the dark wood trim downstairs) but this old fixture had to go. Our upstairs bedrooms get extremely hot during the summer and really stuffy and gross during the winter. We have a small ceiling fan picked out and I will update on how horrible the installation turns out to be.


I'm over half way done with the paint job (trust me it looks so much better!). In the mean time I'll leave you with a cute picture of my dog right after he got to open his nautical themed Bark Box. Here's to six more months of home improvement blogging!

No comments:

Post a Comment